How to Grab Your Readers Hook, Line, and Sinker

Movie-based novelizations and popular culture are purchases that are way out of my comfort zone, but good for my incoming class!

This is a bit that I’ve gleaned from the literature review I recently wrote:

As a result of this study, I will make sure to purchase and publicize a wider variety of “boy books” and “girl books” in my classroom library.  I’m also going to look into the growing genre of narrative non-fiction and more books of the slightly gross humor variety.  Yes, I even found myself purchasing a book about the Jonas Brothers for one of my female readers who needs to be hooked.

From what I’ve read, I need to hook my boys first, and I believe the fantasy genre has a lot to offer both boys and girls. Specifically, I’ll begin the year with a fantasy unit with components designed to hook all students.  I’ll choose something like Harry Potter, with strong male and female characters who fight evil.  Using these books, I can read a chapter and then show a portion of the movie with subtitles to help my ELL students build background knowledge and also help those students who have trouble visualizing.  I’ll do single-gender guided reading groups with “girl fantasy books” that may have a bit more romance and “boy fantasy books” that may have a bit more action.  Discussion will take place on Edmodo and on paper for guided reading groups and be whole group for the group read aloud.